In India, bananas are extremely popular and there are various types of bananas to choose from! In fact it is hard to find a place in India that doesn’t grow or consume bananas! Bananas are packed with nutrients and they can be had any time of the day. They are rich in iron, calcium, potassium and phosphorous. They also have high fibre content aiding easy digestion.
Bananas are so loved for their taste and nutritional value that they are introduced right in infancy, in the form of banana powder. For making banana powder, you need to use the raw, larger varieties of bananas, the kind that are generally steamed when ripe and then dry them over days. It is a time consuming process indeed. If you do not have time to prepare this powder at home, don’t worry. You can use the Slurrp Farm banana powder, which contains no preservatives or additives. When used with some warm milk or water, it makes for an excellent travel food for babies. You can easily buy it online and it will be shipped directly to your doorstep.
With that sorted, you can now introduce your kids to the wonderful world of bananas with yummy and nutritious banana powder recipes – perfect to fill that little growing tummy. Here are some delicious and healthy banana powder recipes your young ones will surely love.
Oats Banana Porridge
Give your little star a good boost of energy with oats banana porridge. It can be introduced to babies after 6 months once the other basic first foods are already incorporated in their diet.
- 2 tbsp cooking oats
- 1 tablespoon of banana powder
- 100ml of cold milk or water
- ½ cup water
- Mix oats with water in a saucepan and cook it on medium flame for about 3 minutes.
- Once the oats are cooked, add milk to it and boil it for a few minutes.
- Then add the banana powder, mix it well to ensure there are no lumps.
- Cook the mixture on a low flame for 15 minutes and then remove from the flame.
- Serve lukewarm. The porridge can also be stored in an airtight container under refrigeration for feeding later.
Banana Powder Halwa
Banana powder halwa is an easy and quick dessert for babies and kids. It is another delicacy you can make with banana powder. They can be given to babies from 8 months onwards as a quick dessert.
- 1/4 cup banana porridge powder
- 2 tbsp powdered palm jaggery (optional)
- 1.5 cups water
- 3 tbsp ghee
- 1 tbsp powdered nuts
- 1/4 tsp cardamom powder
- Take the powdered jaggery and add 1/4 cup of water or till immersing level. Boil till it melts completely and the mixture becomes slightly thick.
- Strain the jaggery mixture to remove impurities. Keep it aside.
- Now take the banana powder in a thick bottomed pan and add water to it. Mix everything slowly and thoroughly with a whisk. Make sure there are no lumps.
- Then add in the strained jaggery mixture along with ghee and cardamom powder.
- Mix well and cook everything in the low medium flame until it becomes thick.
- Whisk or stir the mixture continuously while cooking so that it does not stick to the vessel and form lumps.
- Now add in the powdered nuts and switch off the flame once done.
- Transfer the halwa to a ghee greased plate. Spread out the halwa and let it cool. Then serve.
Banana Powder Milkshake
This one is a healthy milkshake with banana powder. It is a very good weight gaining recipe for toddlers and kids.
- 2 tbsp banana powder
- 1 tbsp powdered palm jaggery or jiggery (optional)
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tbsp honey
- Take 2 tbsp banana powder in a thick bottomed pan and add 3/4 cup of water to it.
- Mix well with a whisk. Cook everything in a low flame for 5 minutes or until the banana powder gets cooked well. Stir it continuously so it does not stick to the bottom.
- Now add powdered palm jaggery or palm jaggery syrup. Mix well and cook further for 3 minutes. Switch off the flame once it’s done and let it cool down.
- Then transfer the cooked banana powder to a blender. Add milk and honey to it.
- Blend everything until smooth. Pour into glasses and serve warm.
In the milkshake recipe, you can also add a banana or apple to make it more healthy. Older kids can be given Slurrp Farm’s healthy and yummy easy snacks for kids like ragi and choco cookies, to complement the taste of the milkshake. In all recipes, adjust the milk quantity as per the thickness you desire. Babies over one year can be given cow’s milk. And lastly, always check with your pediatrician before introducing any new food.